December 15, 2013
The A.R.T. will be presenting a sensory-friendly performance of The Light Princess on Friday, January 3, 2014 at 2:00pm.
The show will take place on the Main Stage of the American Repertory Theater, 64 Brattle Street, Cambridge, MA. The performance is about 1 hour long. All tickets are $15 and can ONLY be purchased by calling (617) 547-8300 during box office hours, Tuesday – Sunday, 12:00 noon - 5:00pm.
The Light Princess is a whimsical new musical based on George MacDonald’s fairy tale about a princess who is cursed to not have any gravity. The king and queen must help the princess find her gravity before her 16th birthday, or else the kingdom will fall into the hands of the witch who cursed her. This world premiere is written for all ages. (More information HERE.)
A.R.T. invites families with members who are diagnosed with autism spectrum disorder or other sensitivity issues to this special performance – and all families are welcome! There will be environmental adjustments to create a friendly, supportive environment, as well as alterations to the performance, including:
- The house lights will remain dimmed during the performance, rather than completely off
- The volume of the performance will be reduced
- Front of House staff will use glow sticks to signal dramatic shifts in action, sound or lighting
- There will be a staffed quiet area available in the lobby for children who need to take a break from the show
- A relaxed and inclusive atmosphere where patrons can feel comfortable during the performance and enter or exit the theater during the show, with the assistance of ushers
- Trained volunteers will be on hand to assist with patron needs
- Tablets and smartphones will be permitted to help non-verbal children communicate
- A social story and character guide is available to assist families in preparing for a live theater experience.
We hope you'll join us for this wonderful new musical!
If you have further questions or concerns about this sensory-friendly performance, please contact Brendan Shea, Education and Community Programs Manager, with any questions. He can be reached by phone at (617) 496-2000, ext. 8834, or by e-mail to: email@example.com.